Thursday, October 02, 2008

Et Tu Elbert

First Howard over at Dustpan kicks me in the shin for not posting in a timely manner, and now Elbert thrusts me back into the arena. Thanks Elbert. I'm all out of apologies for not coming back sooner, so here goes. I'm busier than a one-legged man in buttkicking contest. Last week I wandered up to Sam Yoder's butcher shop to purchase a fresh ham. I brought the thing home (in the pouring rain mind you) trimmed it and put it in a brine solution to cure for 8 days. Saturday morning it comes out of the brine, it gets rinsed and then I will smoke it for 7 hours or so. After it cools down I'll be slicing it, and Sunday it will be served following Homecoming at the church I attend. I've cured meat before, ham, canadian bacon, stuff like that. The results are usually very good. I enjoy cooking ,(most of the time) I should I've been at it 33 years, since my wife does not cook. If you asked me why I've done this for so long, I'll tell you I'm crazy. Other news, my wife will sing Sunday and Homecoming, I'll be playing guitar. A lot of music this weekend. She is leaving the following week for 2 and 1/2 weeks for California to visit our daughter and son-in-law. My brother has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. The outlook is optimistic though, as it is in a very early stage. I get blood tests next week. Why mess around when you're 56?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home